Commonwealth Games 2014: Predictions
Predictions time! Gold in bold, plus podium picks for each event. As per my usual predictions, optimistic patriotism for the home nations and erroneous picks of people who turn out not to be going at all are a given!
50 free: Fran Halsall (ENG), Cate Campbell (AUS), Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace (BAH)
100 free: Cate Campbell (AUS), Bronte Campbell (AUS), Emma McKeon (AUS)
200 free: Emma McKeon (AUS), Siobhan Marie O’Connor (ENG), Karin Prinsloo (RSA)
400 free: Jazz Carlin (WAL), Lauren Boyle (NZL), Bronte Barratt (AUS)
800 free: Lauren Boyle (NZL), Jazz Carlin (WAL), Jessica Ashwood (AUS)
50 back: Georgia Davies (WAL), Emily Seebohm (AUS), Lauren Quigley (ENG)
100 back: Emily Seebohm (AUS), Lauren Quigley (ENG), Sinead Russell (CAN)
200 back: Elizabeth Simmonds (ENG), Belinda Hocking (AUS), Lauren Quigley (ENG)
Sarah Sjostrom (SWE) Fran Halsall (ENG), Siobhan Marie O’Connor (ENG), Ariana Vanderpool-Wallace (BAH)
100 fly: Alicia Coutts (AUS), Katerine Savard (CAN), Ellen Gandy (AUS)
200 fly: Ellen Gandy (AUS), Madeline Groves (AUS), Aimee Willmott (ENG)
50 breast: Leiston Pickett (AUS), Sophie Taylor (ENG), Sally Hunter (AUS)
100 breast: Sophie Taylor (ENG), Aila Atkinson (JAM), Lorna Tonks (AUS)
200 breast: Sally Hunter (AUS), Molly Renshaw (ENG), Sophie Taylor (ENG)
200 IM: Alicia Coutts (AUS), Siobhan-Marie O’Connor (ENG), Sophie Allen (ENG)
400 IM: Aimee Willmott (ENG), Hannah Miley (SCO), ???
4x100 free: Australia, England, Canada
4x200 free: Australia, England, New Zealand
4x100 medley: England, Australia, Canada
Surprises could come from: Corrie Scott (SCO) and Sycerika McMahon (NIR) in the breastroke; Bronte Campbell outsplitting big sister Cate in the relay.
- Meagan Nay’s shoulder injury opens up the longer backstroke events for Quiggers (whom I predict will be having a BREAKOUT year) and Simmo (who deserves a decent medal result after a tough few seasons)
- Hopefully SMoC won’t knacker herself in too much. She’s got a similar program to Alicia Coutts, but with the 200 free and 100 fly semis on the same day we’ll see if something gets prioritised
- Speaking of which, the 100 fly medals should be a free-for-all, I could easily have put Rachael Kelly and Jemma Lowe up there too.
- Good to see some Caribbean representation from Aila and Arianna, both have excellent medal chances.
- Extreme wishful thinking for the medley relay, especially considering the Aussies will have Cate C on the anchor leg, HOWEVER a strong back/breast leg from England, SMoC on fly (??) and a few duff takeovers could make it a bit closer than everyone thinks.
- I’d completely forgotten that the Campbell sisters have a PET PIG called Pepper!
- Canada are really missing a world class breaststroker this year, but Tera van Beilen is looking in half-decent form again after a dreadful 2013.
- I really hope the RSA women can step up from a relatively disappointing Delhi (apart from Natalie du Toit’s awesome MC medals, of course).
- Aimee and Hannah are miles ahead of the rest of the 400IM field while the bronze is completely up for grabs. Who else is even entering this? Danielle Lowe??????
- EXTREMELY concerned that the majority of swimmers’ bios I’ve read mention them liking Mumford & Sons. Even SMoC says she likes Ed Sheeran D: D:
50 free: Cameron McEvoy (AUS), Ben Proud (ENG), Roland Schoeman (RSA)
100 free: James Magnussen (AUS), Cameron McEvoy (AUS), Ben Proud (ENG)
200 free: Cameron McEvoy (AUS), Thomas Fraser-Holmes (AUS), James Guy (ENG)
400 free: David McKeon (AUS), James Guy (ENG), Robbie Renwick (SCO)
1500 free: Mack Horton (AUS), Ryan Cochrane (CAN), Jordan Harrison (AUS)
50 back: Ben Treffers (AUS), Bobby Hurley (AUS), Marco Loughran (WAL)
100 back: Mitch Larkin (AUS), Ben Treffers (AUS), Chris Walker-Hebborn (ENG)
200 back: Mitch Larkin (AUS), Ashley Delany (AUS), Craig McNally (SCO)
50 fly: Roland Schoeman (RSA), Ben Proud (ENG)… is Jason Dunford (KEN) still going?
100 fly: Chad Le Clos (RSA), Tommaso d’Orsogna (AUS), James Guy (ENG)
200 fly: Chad Le Clos (RSA), Roberto Pavoni (ENG), Mitch Pratt (AUS)
50 breast: Cameron van der Burgh (RSA), Christian Sprenger (AUS), Adam Peaty (ENG)
100 breast: Adam Peaty (ENG), Ross Murdoch (SCO), Cameron van der Burgh (RSA)
200 breast: Michael Jamieson (SCO), Adam Willis (ENG), Christian Sprenger (AUS)
200 IM: Chad Le Clos (RSA), Thomas Fraser-Holmes (AUS), Dan Wallace (SCO)
400 IM: Thomas Fraser-Holmes (AUS), Chad Le Clos (RSA), Roberto Pavoni (ENG),
4x100 free: Australia, South Africa, England
4x200 free: Australia, Scotland, England
4x100 medley: Australia, South Africa, England
Surprises could come from: teenage Aussie distance freestylers spoiling the 400 free party; Adam Barrett (ENG) in the butterfly.
- The men’s individual events will be all about Chad this year. And hopefully his dad, too! 5 medals? 6? 7?
- The Aussie squad will have something to prove after their shit Olympics and underwhelming 2013 Worlds. I would be surprised if they didn’t grab at least one medal in every single event.
- The breaststroke events should be cracking, with the best guys in the world over all the distances. I picked names at random up there but MJ is definitely one to make the most of home pressure/advantage.
- Best chance of a Caribbean medal is Trinidad’s George Bovell. Amazingly this is his first Commies (thanks to injury) and he could cause an upset to the Aussies in the sprints.
- Ohhhhh Canada :/ It looks like Ryan Cochrane is their best bet for a medal. I have barely heard of the other Canadian dudes, apart from Richard Funk (I will make sure everyone has heard of Richard Funk).
- Hannah Miley’s little brother is swimming for Scotland! Awww!
- This has to be a last home-crowd-hurrah for Robbie Renwick…
- … but as fond as I am of Liam Tancock, I doubt his shoulder is going to be up to defending even one of those backstroke titles, let alone two :(
- I wonder if Moorhouse and Jameson will manage not to mention Dan Wallace’s ‘indiscretion’ with the police car during the commentary?
- There is apparently still beef about CvdB’s fly-kick cheating at the Olympics, I’m sure this will become interminable over on the Sw1mV0rt3x comment sectionzzzzzz
- James Guy could make a bit of a name for himself in Glasgow, with a couple of nailed-on swims and a dose of luck. He’s also my new favourite because he likes Wiz Khalifa and lists his hobbies as ‘eating for the sake of it’. GO JIMBOB!
I’m going to be up in Scotland for most of the swimming (seeing other sports - didn’t get any pool tickets, unfortunately) so there won’t be many updates here, but I’ll do a proper round-up when I get home.