I had a swim in the Aquatics Centre this evening! Apologies for the quality of the top photo but it was dark and I was excited. The grass is not on fire either; the whole effect is rather orange and teal which is not un-awesome.
Thoughts I had while in said pool:
- Haha sucks to be Crystal Palace
- I don’t get what all the fuss was about the ceiling being distracting while doing backstroke
- OMG I AM SWIMMING BACKSTROKE IN THE LANE WHERE MISSY FRANKLIN SET A WORLD RECORD
- Have I swam in a pool where *anyone* has set a world record before? (Apparently yes - in the 1964 GB trials for Tokyo! I think Mark Foster might have set one in the old Empire Pool in Cardiff BUT that was AFTER I actually swam in it)
- The walls are nice and tactile for tumble-turning (my regular haunt of Marshall Street Baths is made of marble and as such is v slippery if you don’t hit it right)
- The water is probably around 1° too warm, I got rather hot once I’d got going
- But not for long, as of course I got cramp after about 1400m in 25 minutes ;_;
- Getting foot cramp in the middle of a long course pool is not fun, thankfully my beefy arms are doing most of the work anyway when I swim so I am not sinking
- These foot ledges at the ends don’t go far in enough. Am I going to have to…. *gasp* TREAD WATER???
- Or I suppose I could just hang on the lane rope like everyone else (I find it very hard to do this as I keep internally hearing my old coach Malcolm yelling at us not to hang on the lane ropes)
- WHATEVER, it was amazing